Welcome to Dike-Newell School!
- Our first day of school is Wednesday, August 30th. School will begin at 8:25 a.m. There is no late start on this day. Late start Wednesdays will begin on September 6th. School will begin at 9:25 a.m. each Wednesday of the school year.
- All doors at Dike-Newell School are locked while students are in school. When visiting our school, visitors must report to the main entrance near the office. A member of the office staff will buzz you in and then you should proceed to the office to sign in. There will be instructions posted on the door if you need assistance navigating this process.
- School hours are 8:25 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Students are considered late after 8:30 a.m. and must be signed in at the office by a parent before going to class. Tardy students should walk to class independently. Afternoon dismissal begins at 3:00 p.m.
- If you would like to add your child to the bus roster, please contact Mrs. Burgess as soon as possible at 443-8285, ext. 0 or email@example.com.
- Buses will drop off all students between 8:15-8:20 a.m. and students will go directly to the cafeteria area to pick up their breakfast or go directly to their classroom. In the afternoons, students remain in their classrooms with their teachers until their bus arrives. Our first group of buses (29, 41) will leave at 3:00 p.m.; walkers and Y Care will follow once buses are gone. The second group of buses (23, 25, 45, 51) will leave between 3:05-3:10 p.m. Please keep in mind that during the first week or two of school buses may be later than normal as we adjust to our new routine. Please note: Bus routes will be published in The Times Record and on our website in mid August. If your child is new to our school or in Kindergarten, you will find bus information in this mailing. We encourage you to have your child ride the bus.
- We would encourage you to let the first day of school be as normal as possible. For example, if your child will be riding the bus, let him/her ride the bus beginning on the first day of school. Establishing a routine right from the start is helpful for all of us.
- If you drop your child off, please turn right into the staff parking lot, loop around and drop your child off at the door. Then, please exit the parking lot to allow space for the next car. There will be a staff member waiting inside to direct your child to his/her classroom. If you plan to walk into the building with your child, please park on High St. or in a designated parking spot in the parking lot and turn off your engine. Please do not park along the curb. This is a no parking zone except for authorized transportation vehicles. Drop off is from 8:15 a.m.-8:30 a.m. There is no supervision prior to 8:15 a.m. so please plan accordingly.
- If you will be picking your child up after-school, we ask that you please park on High St. or turn right into the parking lot, park in a designated space and walk to the canopy to meet your child. Your child will exit under the supervision of a staff member beginning at 3:00 p.m. We ask that you wait outside these doors (under the canopy) for your child. For safety reasons, children are not permitted to cross the parking lot without a parent. All students must be picked up by 3:05 p.m.
- If your child will have a change in after school dismissal routine, you must put this in writing and send it to the classroom teacher in the morning. Planning ahead is helpful to both your child and the teacher. We ask that you avoid making last minute changes whenever possible. If you find yourself needing to change your child’s dismissal routine after the school day has begun, please call the office before 2:30 p.m. Dismissal changes via email to the office or classroom teacher will no longer be accepted as busy staff may not read these messages before the day ends and we want to ensure all of our students are delivered home safely and in the correct manner. Thank you for your understanding.
- On the first day of school, your child will bring home a packet of paperwork as well as a school handbook. Please take the time to read the handbook so that you are familiar with our procedures and policies. Please return the paperwork to school no later than Tuesday, September 5th.
- One of the most important things we can do for our children is to see that they get plenty of sleep and a good healthy breakfast before they come to school each day.
- If your child wants to have snack or snack drinks at school, you will need to supply these items. We do offer a breakfast and lunch program. If your child will eat breakfast at school, please send a note to the classroom teacher so he/she is aware. Breakfast is served in the form of a grab-n-go breakfast that students take to the classroom first thing in the morning. Students who eat breakfast at school should go directly to the cafeteria area when they arrive to pick up their meal. If you transport your child, please make sure he/she is here at 8:15 a.m. for breakfast. The prices for meals are: $1.45 for breakfast and $2.65 for lunch. Applications for free or reduced meals will come home on the first day of school. Please return these promptly. We encourage all families to apply. When sending money to school, please enclose it in an envelope with your child’s first & last name on the outside. Checks for school meals should be made payable to RSU 1.
- Check our website often for information about what is going on at Dike-Newell (www.dns.rsu1.org). Here you can find web pages for classroom teachers, lunch menus, forms, school calendar and more. We also have a Facebook page.
- If you still haven’t provided all of the necessary paperwork for registration, please contact Mrs. Burgess at 443-8285, ext. 0 as soon as possible so that your child is ready to start school on August 30th.
Once again, welcome to Dike-Newell School!
We look forward to a great year together.